First I want to say a brief thank you to everyone across the world who commented on my last post. I no longer feel so alone and afraid and have been brainstorming about things I can do to make a difference. Your support and kindness are so much appreciated.
In knitting news, I finally finished my Aspen blanket and I LOVE it! I started it in January but due to a yarn shortage I had to put it on hold for a while, but I got it back out a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed finishing it.
It’s a great size and is nice and stretchy (which also makes it hard to take a good measurement). I do kind of wish I’d just made up a similar pattern on my own because to me it turned out to be a very simple pattern for $6, but oh well.
I used 24 skeins (2520 yds) of Garnstudio DROPS Andes (super bulky, 65% wool, 35% alpaca) in 0100 Ecru. The pattern actually calls for 2 strands of bulky weight held together but 2 strands of the super bulky held together was fine. Actually, even with the recommended needle size (US 50/25 mm) it still looked pretty loose, so I went down 2 needle sizes to US 19 (15 mm) and added 2 pattern repeats to make up for the change, and I like it much better. I used the long-tail cast-on & Elizabeth Zimmerman’s sewn bind-off to keep things nice and elastic, and I slipped the first stitch of each row purl-wise to make a neater edge.
One thing I really love about my blanket is that there are no knots in the entire thing. I used the spit-splicing method to join new balls of yarn so that there wouldn’t be messy sections of sewn in ends. Basically you just cut a couple of inches off of half of the plies (in my case, 1 ply, since the yarn itself was just 2 ply) on both the tail end of the current ball and the beginning of the new one you’re joining. Then you dampen the ends with spit, wind the plies together, and rub it quickly between your hands or on a sturdy fabric. It sounds gross (and kind of tastes gross and fuzzy), but there’s something about spit that works better than just plain water. Essentially you’re felting the ends together (making an undetectable but very strong join), meaning that this method only works with yarn that has a high content of animal fiber. Because it’s feltable, though, it has to be laid out to dry after washing, which will be fun (I have no idea where I will do that). It will also be heavy, and it’s heavy already without being wet!
All in all I’m very happy with this plush, toasty blanket! I just have to be careful not to leave it lying around when I’m not using it, or the dog will likely lay on it and snag the yarn with her claws. Maybe felting it in the wash just a little teensy bit might not be a bad idea.
Also, I got a haircut yesterday. This week has been so terrible (on top of the election, I also immediately got sick afterward, and I was so despondent that I’m not sure the two aren’t unrelated), so I figured I’d pamper myself just a tad. I love it.
OK, that’s all for today. Thanks for stopping by everyone, see you soon!