My newest project is Kitty Ripple #2, and when finished it will go with #1 to PetSmart to line the kennels of the adoptable kitties. Here’s my first couple of rows (I’m using the same pattern as last time). I just wanted to show you the crazy yarn. It’s totally something old-fashioned but I think it’s fun for kitties.
I say it’s fun for kitties and there’s already dog hair on it. I’ll have to wash both kitty ripples before I take them in…
Here’s the crochet stuff! I started something new: a ripple blanket (pattern here)! It’s not an ordinary ripple blanket though, it’s a little one, and I’m making it to donate to PetSmart! I noticed on a visit there today that there were some crocheted and knitted little blankets in the kennels of the adoptable kitties, and I asked an associate if I could just bring some in, and he said yes! I got some cheap, colorful, slightly grandma-looking yarn from Hobby Lobby and started Kitty Ripple #1:
While I was there, I saw some really cute scissors that I had to get, as well:
But as it turns out, they kinda suck at cutting things. I had to snip a few times to get through my yarn. They’re pretty to look at, I guess.
Well, I’m going to go work some more on the ripple. Thanks for stopping by!
My first cushion ever, made with the square pattern from Attic24 and the border method from Compact UK, has been completed. I’m a little unsatisfied with the shape of the pillow — it’s still lumpy and misshapen looking. Maybe with some use it will work the bumps out itself? The buttons on the back aren’t quite spaced out the way I wanted them to be either, but I honestly just wanted to finish it up. Anyway, here are the pics:
My flower sunburst granny square afghan is complete! Made from Berroco Vintage Chunky, it’s super heavy and thick, so I know it will be toasty (although I’ll never use this yarn for a blanket again — it’s perfect in every way except that it’s too expensive). It covers a double bed, but the picture below is taken on a queen so you can see it all flat with the cute ruffly border I added. This has been my most expensive afghan, but it might just be the one I’m most proud of, too. Here are the finished pictures.
I hope you like it as much as I do! Now off to make some tea…
I’m finished joining my afghan squares! Turns out it is a little smaller than I thought it would be, probably due to my usage of a smaller hook to sc the squares together (which was done on the back of the piece). I meant to have nice tight joins but I overdid it a bit and it shrunk the overall size of the thing. I have a feeling it will stretch out with usage — it’s a very heavy blanket! I still have to add the border, so I’m not finished yet, but I wanted to share my progress with you because I’m excited to be done with joining the squares (usually the most tedious part of afghans, in my opinion). So here are the pictures!
You can see in that first one where I’ve been sitting on the edge, listening to The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey on iTunes (which is a very good book, by the way).
And there you can see the joins close up! I think it looks pretty neat, if I do say so myself. :) Now on to put on the border!
I’m so excited that I’m done with my blanket squares! Here they are all laid out on our queen size futon/bed so you can get a good perspective. I’m so pumped to share with you!
Aren’t they great? I’m so proud! I’ll crochet the ends in when I slip stitch the squares together, and I’m also planning on adding a decent sized border. The blanket was only supposed to cover a double bed, but I think it’ll cover the queen nicely, don’t you?
Hopefully I’ll get started on putting the squares together soon — I can’t wait to finish!
Sorry it’s been over a week since I’ve posted anything! And I have more to apologize for when I tell you I haven’t done much at all since then as far as fiber arts are concerned.
One reason I haven’t crocheted/knitted much this week is because of one of my nervous habits: picking at hangnails/cuticles/extra skin on my fingers. It’s one of those things I can just barely control, and sometimes I go overboard. Not only is it kinda gross, it impedes me from working with my hands because my fingers get so sore and torn up. I feel vulnerable sharing this with you because it’s like a big weakness for me, and I know a lot of anxiety is all in my head, so I feel like this should never be a problem, but there it is.
Here’s what I have done though: I’ve taken pictures of a knitted scarf that’s been in the works for a bit.
The yarn for this scarf is a gift from a friend, who bought it at a local yarn shop. It’s by Dark Horse Yarn, it’s 50% nylon and 50% acrylic. It is so soft, it’s almost unbelievable. Such a pleasure to work with! And I love the lovely colors!
Here are some more pics of my granny blanket yarn and my blanket circles, which are coming along nicely, albeit slowly:
So that’s it for today, sorry it wasn’t more exciting. I’ll try to hurry, I promise.